Chris Ratcliffe / Bloomberg
Tony Hayward, then-BP CEO, listens to speakers at the Global Investment conference in London, U.K., on Monday, Feb. 22, 2010
Elspeth Lodge January 1, 2011 – 8:00 am
- “I’d like my life back” — Tony Hayward, former CEO of BP, complaining about the Gulf of Mexico oil spill
- “Put that in your pipe, you left-wing kooks.” — Hockey Night in Canada’s Don Cherry, in a speech at Toronto mayor Rob Ford’s swearing-in.
- “If the Girl Scouts of America can’t get back to teaching real character, perhaps it will be time to look for our cookies elsewhere.”—Hans Zeiger, republican Washington State Representative for 25th district, criticizes America’s Girl Scouts as a pro-abortionist, feminist training corps.
- “The past 9 months have been a very difficult time for me. I have made mistakes for which I have apologized.” — MP Helena Guergis announcing her resignation from cabinet.
- “Two words for you: Predator Drones”—President Barack Obama “fake” threatens the Jonas brothers in May to stay away from daughters Sasha and Malia.
- “Winners are the ones who form governments”—Stephen Harper, in a joint press conference with David Cameron
- “If I was in his house, where the hell was she?” — Loredana Jolie, a mistress of Tiger Wood’s, blames the golfer’s former wife for his infidelity.
- “Luge looked like you are trying to stuff your Christmas tree through the door tip first and have your limbs peeled backwards.”—Canadian gold medalist Jon Montgomery after being asked why he chose skeleton instead of luge.
- “Chi Chi! Chi! Le! Le! Le! Los mineros de Chile!”— Chilean miner rescue chant
- “And I was like baby, baby, baby, oh/ Like baby, baby, baby no…”— Canadian native Justin Bieber hits the big-time with his song “Baby” early in the year.
- “I’m eating my cookie – can’t you see I’m eating my cookie?”— Dr. Stephen Duckett, President and CEO Alberta Health Services, ducks reporters.
- “I unfortunately have never in my life been to a wild party.” — Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.
- “This is a big F-ing deal”— American VP Joe Biden swears at healthcare bill-signing ceremony in March.
- “Many weirdos email us about UFOs or how they discovered that they were the Anti-Christ whilst talking with their ex-wife at a garden party over a pot-plant. However, as yet they have not satisfied two of our publishing rules. 1) that the documents not be self-authored; 2) that they be original.”—WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in an online Q & A
- “‘Refudiate,’ ‘misunderestimate,’ wee-wee’d up’”— Sarah Palin tweets on July 18th, comparing herself to Shakespeare for coining words.
- “I thought it was gum.” — Paris Hilton, arrested in September when Las Vegas police found cocaine in her bag.
- “We’d like to spread the culture of fun — and safety.” — Candice Iyog, VP for marketing of Philippine airline Cebu Pacific, on in-flight safety demos where the flight attendants dance to Lady Gaga music, in October.
- “Whoever in our government leaked that information is guilty of treason, and I think anything less than execution is too kind a penalty.” — Mike Huckabee, U.S. republican party presidential hopeful, comments on WikiLeaks.
- “Those people who once saw us as the poor cousins of Confederation, now see us as the place to be: a province on the move.”—Danny Williams announces his resignation as premier of Newfoundland-Labrador