Crocodile in Ukraine frightened by ringing cell phone — in its stomach
Greg Wood / AFP / Getty Images
A crocodile in Ukraine swallowed a cell phone and now must have surgery.
Elspeth Lodge January 21, 2011 – 3:28 pm
A crocodile is facing a serious operation after a visitor at an aquarium in Ukraine dropped her mobile into the reptiles pen. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to predict what happened next: the croc, known affectionately by her owners as Gena, ate it, reported RT news.
The owner of the phone tried calling Gena’s stomach, to see if the ringing would make the croc cough up the mobile, but instead, Gena got extremely frightened when the phone began to ring.
The report said the constant ringing of the phone in his stomach has caused Gena to tense up too much for her to pass the phone naturally, as officials hoped he would. Now he is set to have an operation to remove the ringing device from his insides.
He is refusing to eat, is acting listless, and has digestion problems.
Aquarium authorities said he appears to be in pain and is also refusing to play with the other crocs.
They tried to tempt Gena with laxative-stuffed partridges, partridges being the crocs favorite meal, but he refused to touch them.
They are now moving onto their last resort. Surgically removing the phone:
“We have ordered special transport to bring Gena to the vet,” the zoo administrators told the news outlet. “We pray only that he survived the operation. We are so worried about him.”
The owner of the phone, who had been leaning over to take a picture of the croc when she dropped it, is not concerned for Gena, but about the valuable information, pictures and numbers in her phone.
She claims to reporters that she will not pay for the operation, as she is the victim in the situation.