Elspeth Lodge February 10, 2011 – 6:09 pm
Wednesday marked the one year anniversary of Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move!” initiative to combat childhood obesity and encourage a healthy life-style. The movement has made waves this year by leading the way for reform of what has become an unhealthy fast food culture where people exercise much less than they should, reports ABC News.
Ms. Obama told an audience in Georgia on Wednesday that the parents of America have been essential to the program’s success. They have insisted that more information be put onto food labels, that more affordable fresh fruits and vegetables be available, and that there are better food options at school lunch programs, reports ABC News.
Among other changes, 6,000 schools will receive salad bars and 2,000 chefs have been hired to help re-design unhealthy school menus. And, last month, Wal-Mart, one of America’s most popular grocers, agreed to cut 25% of the salt and 10% of sugars added to their processed products by 2015.
“The truth is that executives at Wal-Mart didn’t wake up one morning and decide to promote healthier products just for fun and folks in Congress didn’t write the most sweeping child nutrition legislation in decades because they had extra time on their hands. They did this because folks like us stood up and asked for those changes,” Ms. Obama told her audience, ABC News reports.
With one in three children still considered obese in America, the first lady said that the nation still has improvements to make, but she is thrilled with what the program has accomplished in just one year, reports ABC News. Last year, when the program launched, CNN reported the first lady commented it isn’t about physical appearances, but rather “quality of life.”
Ms. Obama said in an interview on Larry King Live last year that the issue of unhealthy eating hit home during her husband’s 2008 presidential election campaign when her family started gaining weight from eating too much junk food, CNN reported:
“I was shocked at first because I thought I was doing what I was supposed to do, and I hadn’t noticed any changes in my kids, so it was a little bit shocking and a little disorienting,” Obama said. “But I went home, and it was kind of a wake-up call, and we made some changes even with busy schedules.”
The changes, she said, included smaller portion sizes, more cooked meals, a dessert ban on weekdays and substituting sugary drinks with milk, water and fresh-squeezed juices. “The point is that small changes made a difference,” she said.
Elspeth Lodge February 9, 2011 – 3:27 pm
Michelle Obama appeared as a guest on “Live! With Regis and Kelly” Wednesday morning, where she revealed she hasn’t yet to received an invitation to Prince William and Kate Middleton‘s royal wedding on April 29.
The first lady said if she gets an invitation she will go, reports USA Today.
“You know what? Marriage is a personal, private thing,” said the first lady to Kelly Ripa.”They should invite who they want to invite. And if I get invited, I’ll go. Sure, why not?”